GIS of the Jewish cemetery in Debrecen
The first sign of a separate synagogue in Debrecen was the establishment of a separate Jewish cemetery. The conditions of its creation are described by József Fischer's application given on behalf of his fellow believers to the Noble Council in the Spring of 1842, and the official response to that (on the 8th of June, 1843).
There was a huge debate in the urban community about the request of the expanding Jewish community, according to which they want to operate a separate cemetery in the area of the city which is surrounded by a stone wall.
As a result of the decision of Magistrate an area of 720 square meters, surrounded by planking was provided to the Jewish community outside the city, south west of the Homokkert (Sandgarden). According to the customs of the era Christian cemeteries of Europe are surrounded just by a ditch covered with grass. Of course the city followed this custom, too.
Therefore the stone wall of the Jewish cemetery was built only later following the approval of the Council. The Sacred Cemetery Association (Chevra Kadisa) founded by the Synagogue in 1844 as the oldest charity association has been taking of the rituals of the dead ever since, which have existed since the Talmud times.
The Jewish cemetery of Debrecen has been at the same location since its foundation, although its area has been expanded significantly several times. It was first expanded in 1855.
The Jewish cemetery is called "beit alamin" (House of Eternity) in Debrecen and all over the world, since the tomb stones mean a connection with the living, until the tomb stones are maintained and registered.
The system was developed using the open source system called MAPSERVER. The application is able to display large quantities of vector, raster and descriptive data even in case of many users connecting simultaneously. Only a web browser is needed on the client side.